Administrative Law (Amar Khoday)

Course number: LAW 3530

Instructors: Amar Khoday

OVERVIEW

Administrative law is about the struggle to achieve a balance between the competing interests that shape the design and implementation of public programs. While the state must, in the public interest, deliver programs effectively, efficiently and consistently with principles of good government, it must also respect the core values of the rule of law – government that is subject to law and that respects claims of individual dignity and basic liberties, including those reflected in international human rights law. In this class, we will examine how courts review the substance of administrative decisions. We will also explore how courts enforce the principles of procedural fairness by ensuring that parties affected by administrative decisions are heard by unbiased decision makers.  Finally, we will examine the constitutional dimensions of administrative law.

TEACHING METHOD

The teaching method uses a combination of lectures and in-class discussions.

This course will be taught in a single three hour block per week.

MODES OF ASSESSMENT

OPTION A

  • One (1) open-book final examination worth 90% of the final grade.
  • Class Participation (constitutes in-class participation and written contributions to UM Learn Discussion Board) and worth 10% of the final grade.

OPTION B

  • One (1) open-book final examination worth 50% of the final grade.
  • One (1) essay (35%) and essay proposal (5%) worth cumulatively 40% of the final grade.
  • Class Participation (constitutes in-class participation and written contributions to UM Learn Discussion Board) and worth 10% of the final grade.

Each student will be registered automatically under Option A unless they select Option B and do so in a matter prescribed in the syllabus. A student’s choice to undertake Option B will be subject to the course instructor’s  approval of the proposed essay.

Students undertaking either Option A or B will receive the same final examination.

COURSE MATERIAL

Required text: Van Harten, Heckman, Mullan, and Promislow, Administrative Law – Cases, Text & Materials, 7th ed (Toronto: Emond Montgomery, 2015) and a text supplement (available online). Additional readings will be made available through UM Learn.

Instructors:  Amar Khoday

Latest Revision: July 14, 2017.

Comments are closed