Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Canada, R3T 2N2
Professor, University of Manitoba.
LL.B. (Queen’s) 1978, LL.M. (Yale) 1978, J.S.D. (Yale) 1986. Professor, University of Manitoba since 1987; Associate Professor, University of Manitoba, 1984-87; Assistant Professor, University of Manitoba, 1981-84. Chair, Constitutional Law Section, Canadian Bar Assoc. 1987-89. Ontario Bar (1981), Manitoba Bar (1984). Chair, Legal Research Institute, University of Manitoba, 1987 -present.
- “The Constitutionality of the Federal Carbon Pricing Benchmark & Backstop Proposals” (2018) Asper Rev. Int’l Bus & Trade L. (forthcoming).
- The Great Transition in Legal Education, Manitoba Law Journal 39(1), 2017
- Establishing a Legal Framework for E-Voting in Canada (Elections Canada, 2013)
- “Reinvigorating the World Trade System” (2013) 13 Asper Rev. Int’l Bus. & Trade L. 1.
- Admitted but Excluded (Special Edition of The Asper Review of International Business and Trade Law, 2011)
- Revitalizing Manitoba: From supplicant society to diversity and dynamism (Frontier Centre for Public Policy, 2011)
- “Stifling Innovation in Health Care: The Regional Health Authority System and Restriction on Private Actors” (2010) 34:3 Man LJ 95.
- “Bill 37: Battle Hymn of the Incumbent” (2009) 6 Underneath the Golden Boy 1.
- “East vs. West: Evaluating Manitoba Hydro’s Options for a Power Transmission Line” with Perry Cheung, (2007) 7 Asper Rev. of Int’l Bus. & Trade L. 1.
- “The Canadian Approach to Regulatory Takings” with Melanie Bueckert (2006) Washington University Global Studies Law Review.
- Valuing Canadians: Options for Voting System Reform in Canada (Law Commission of Canada, 2002)
- Last Best Hope: Quebec Secession – Lincoln’s Lessons for Canada (Detselig Enterprises Ltd., 1998)
- Still Thinking. A Guide to the 1992 Constitutional Referendum (Voyageur Press, 1992)
- Opting In? The New Federal Proposals on the Constitution (Voyageur Press, 1992)
- First Principles, Second Thoughts, Inst. for Research on Public Policy, 1986
- Fathoming Meech Lake, Legal Research Inst. of the Univ. of Manitoba, 1987
- various other periodical articles
- Barney Sneiderman Award for Teaching Excellence (2015)
- Rh Institute Award for Outstanding Scholarship in the Humanities, 1989.