Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Canada, R3T 2N2
He earned a doctorate at Osgoode Hall Law School at York University on the impact of international human rights norms on the institutional and procedural rights of refugee protection claimants. He obtained an LL.M. in administrative law from Queen’s University, Kingston where he taught as an adjunct assistant professor in 2002-2003. His LL.M. thesis investigated the gatekeeping powers of Canadian human rights commissions. He is co-editor, with Professors David J. Mullan and Gus Van Harten, of the sixth edition of Administrative Law – Cases, Text and Materials.
- G. Heckman, “Revisiting the Application of Section 7 of the Charter in Immigration and Refugee Protection” (2017) 68 University of New Brunswick Law Journal 312.
- G. Heckman, “Developments in Remedial Discretion on Judicial Review: Prematurity and Adequate Alternative Remedies” (2017) 30:1 Canadian Journal of Administrative Law and Practice 1.
- G. Heckman, “Developments in Administrative Law: The 2014-2015 Term” (2016) 72 Supreme Court Law Review (2d) 1.
- G. Heckman, “Inquisitorial Approaches to Refugee Protection Decision-making: The Australian Experience and Possible Lessons for Canada” in Laverne Jacobs & Sasha Baglay, eds., The Nature of Inquisitorial Processes in Administrative Regimes (Ashgate, 2013).
- G. Heckman, “Nor-Man Regional Health Authority: Labour Arbitration, Questions of General Law and the Challenges of Legal Centrism” (2011) 35 Man. L.J. 63.
- G. Heckman, “Remedies for Delay in Administrative Decision-making: Where Are We After Blencoe?” (2011) 24 Cdn. Journal of Admin. Law & Practice 175.
- G. Heckman, “Artful Pleading and Access to Meaningful Relief in Crown Litigation: Canada (Attorney General) v. Telezone” (2011) 38 The Advocates’ Quarterly 92.
- G. Heckman, “Developments in Administrative Law: The 2009-2010 Term” (2010) Sup. Ct. L. Rev. 25.
- G. Heckman, “Substantive Review in Appellate Courts Since Dunsmuir” (2010) 47 Osgoode Hall L.J. 751.
- G. Heckman,”Canada’s Refugee Status Determination System and the International Norm of Independence” (2008), 25:2 Refuge 79.
- G. Heckman, “International Law and Procedural Safeguards in Deportation Proceedings: Ahani v. Canada” (2004), 17.2 R.Q.D.I. 81
- G. Heckman & L. Sossin, “How do Canadian Administrative Law Protections Measure Up To International Human Rights Standards? The Case of Independence” (2005), 50 McGill L.J. 193
- G. Heckman, “International Human Rights Law Norms and Discretionary Powers: Recent Developments” (2003), 16 C.J.A.L.P. 31
- G. Heckman, “Securing Procedural Standards for Asylum Seekers in Canadian Law: An Expanding Role for International Human Rights Law?” (2003), 15:2 Int’l J. Refugee L. 212