Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Canada, R3T 2N2
Commissioner, Manitoba Law Reform Commission 2012-2015
Visiting Fellow, University of Cambridge 2010
Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Studies) 2004-2010
Director Legal Research Institute, 2004-2010
Doctor of Philosophy (London, 2000)
LL.M (UBC), LL.B (UNB), B.A (UPEI)
- “The Seizure of Illicit Assets: Patterns of Civil Forfeiture in Canada and Ireland” with C. King, Common Wealth Law Review, 2013, forthcoming
- “Enhancing Global Regulation: Exploring Alternative Financial Machinery” in L Westra, P Taylor and A Michelot, Confronting Ecological and Economic Collapse: Ecological Integrity for Law, Policy and Human Rights, Earthscan/Routledge, 2013.
- “Tax and the Proceeds of Crime: A New Approach to Tainted Finance?” (2013) Journal of Money Laundering Control, forthcoming.
- “Retreating into Doubt: Tainted Finance, Civil Devices and the Rule of Law,” Conference Proceedings OBEGEF, Interdisciplinary Insights on Fraud and Corruption, 2012.
- Civil Processes and Tainted Assets: Exploring Canadian Models of Forfeiture, in C King and C Walker, Dirty Assets: Emerging Issues in the Regulation of Criminal and Terrorist Assets, forthcoming 2013, Ashgate Publications, part of Law, Justice and Power Series, ed. A Sarat.
- “Funds, Rights and Terror: Her Majesty’s Treasury v Mohammed Jabar Ahmed and Others, (2010) 21 King’s Law Journal 569.
- “Law and Legal Process in the Resolution of International Conflict” in Conflict Resolution and Analysis, eds. S. Byrne, D. Sandole, I. Sandole-Saroste and J. Senehi, Routledge, 2008
- Tax and Terrorism: A New Partnership? (2007) Journal of Financial Crime 453
- Ontario (Attorney General) v. $29,020 in Canadian Currency: A Comment on Proceeds of Crime and Provincial Forfeiture Laws, (2006) 52 Criminal Law Quarterly 64
- “Income From Business or Property” in Materials on Canadian Income Tax, 13th ed., with L. Turnbull, Carswell, 2005
- Money Laundering and the Proceeds of Crime: Civil Remedies and Economic Crime, Edward Elgar Publications, London, 2005
- Workshop on Commercial and Corporate Law, Panelist, Taxation Panel, Winnipeg, Manitoba, October 3, 2008
- “Uncertainty in the Convergence of Anti-Criminal Finance Norms and Legal Counsel”, invited paper, Cambridge International Symposium on Economic Crime, Cambridge, England, September 5, 2008
- International Conference on the Future of Legal Education (participant), Atlanta, Georgia, February 20-23, 2008
- “A Critic of Global Anti-Terrorist Finance Strategies”, presentation, Mauro Center for Justice and Peace, University of Manitoba, November 3, 2006
- Law, Philanthropy and New Economic Challenges: Changing the Rules of Engagement, Conference Chair, Winnipeg, Manitoba, September 16, 2009