Add to Calendar
March 24, 2023 @ 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Room 311 Robson Hall
***On behalf of Professor Ireland***
1L and 2L students,
For those of you interested in trying out for the 2024 appellate moots, please be advised:
The Moot Tryouts: Friday March 24 (9am-1pm) and Saturday March 25 (9-5), in-Person at Robson Hall (Room 311).
Only second and third year law students in the 2023-2024 academic year can participate in these moots.
- While there is no GPA requirement to participate in a moot, those that tryout will need to grant the Moot Selection Committee access to view their grades (permission must be given on the sign-up sheet).
- If you wish to participate in the Laskin Moot as a French-language mooter, you must be able to communicate (orally and in writing) in French.
- If you wish to participate in the Bastarache Moot, you must be able to communicate in French.
The Tryout Process
- Sign up with Kirsten Wolfe by email any time between 9am on Monday March 13th and 12pm on Thursday March 23rd: Kirsten.Wolfe@umanitoba.ca. In the email you must:
- Rank the available Moots (listed below) that you would like to be considered for in order of preference. Students could be placed in any moot they rank, so students should not rank a moot that they do not wish to participate in
- Provide permission for your grades to be accessed.
- Indicate your requested timeslot (see below) and Kirsten will give you that slot or offer you the closest time to that slot that is available.
- French-Language moot try-outs will be held on Friday March 24 in the 9:00am-10:48am time slots ONLY. Please select one of those times if you wish to moot in French.
- The case: Alberta v. Hutterian Brethren of Wilson Colony, 2009 SCC 37https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/7808/index.do
- Students can choose to argue either the position of the majority or one of the dissents. Each student has 6 minutes (inclusive of questions from the selection committee). A short feedback session will follow.