Admissions » FAQ

Upcoming Dates & Deadlines

  • September 1 – online application opens
  • December 1 – application deadline
  • November 2019 – final LSAT score for Individual Consideration and Canadian Indigenous Categories
  • January 2020 – final LSAT score for Index Score Category

Fall 2018 applications for Transfer, Advanced Standing and NCA

  • June 30 – application deadline
  • February 2018 – final LSAT score that will be considered for Fall 2019 admission (transfer & advanced standing)

Online Application

The online application can be found here.

What are the minimum academic requirements to apply?

  • 20 one-term courses (i.e. 60 credit hours) of university, degree level study


  • 10 one-term courses (i.e. 30 credit hours) of university, degree level study if an applicant is over the age of 26 by September 1 in the year admission is sought. If more than 30 credit hours are completed, all credit hours are used in the calculation.

An undergraduate degree is not required; however, 90% of our students have completed one. 

When does my coursework need to be completed by?

  • Index Score (regular category) coursework is to be completed by December 31 in the year of application (i.e. December 31, 2019 for September 2020 admission)
  • Individual Consideration Category:  coursework is to be completed by September 1 in the year of application (i.e. September 1, 2019 for September 2020 admission)
  • Canadian Indigenous Applicant Category: coursework is to be completed by December 31 in the year of application (i.e. December 31, 2019 for September 2020 admission)

Do I need to write the TOEFL exam?

If English is not your primary language*, you will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English through one of the following:

  • TOEFL (Internet Based): minimum score of 100 with no section lower than 24.
  • IELTS (academic model): minimum score of 7.0 in each section, and 7.0 overall.
  • CanTEST: minimum score of 5.0 in each section
  • CAEL: minimum score of 80 with no subtest below 80

Note:  AEPUCE (Academic English Program for University and College Entrance) is not an accepted test for admission to the Faculty of Law.

*Primary language is defined as that language which is most commonly used in homes, communities, and daily commerce in your native country.

Are international students eligible to apply?

We accept applications from international students. The admission requirements are the same as domestic applicants.

Is my highest LSAT score used or an average?

The highest LSAT score is used.

What is the last test date you will accept?

The last LSAT date accepted in Individual Consideration and Canadian Indigenous Categories:  November 2019.

The last LSAT date accepted for Index Score (regular) category:  January 2020. For future LSAT dates, please visit:

Where do I register for the LSAT?

To register for the LSAT, visit

How long is my LSAT score valid for?

A LSAT score is valid for 5 years. For 2020-21 admission, the oldest test date accepted is June 2015.

I have questions regarding my LSAT test-day administration.

For all questions regarding test administration (test day, admissions ticket, test-accommodation, etc.) please visit:

Is there a limit to the number of times I may take the LSAT? *NEW INFORMATION*

Starting with September 2019 test administration, test takers will be permitted to take the LSAT:

  • Three times in a single testing year (the testing year is:  June 1 to May 31).
  • Five times within the current and five past testing years (the period in which LSAC reports scores to law schools).
  • A total of seven times over a lifetime.
  • This policy is forward-looking and not retroactive. Test taken prior to September 2019 will not count against these numerical limits.

Note: Test takes will not be permitted to retake the LSAT if they have already scored a 180 (perfect score) within the current and five past testing years, the period in which LSAC reports scores to law schools. This policy will be applied retroactively.

What is the application fee?

2019-20 application fees:

Domestic Students:        $100
International Students:  $120

What are the 3 categories of admission to First Year Law?  Applicants must select one category.

  • Canadian Indigenous Applicant
  • Index Score (regular)
  • Individual Consideration

Do I need to send an official transcript with my application?

We are pleased to accept a web-based transcript (also called a grade summary) and they may be uploaded to the application portal by December 1. Your official transcript(s) is/are not required until an offer is made and accepted.

You may choose to send your official transcript through the mail. Please send it to:
Enrolment Services
424 University Centre
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB  R3T 2N2

I am applying under the Individual Consideration or Canadian Indigenous Category, where do I send my personal statement, résumé, and 3 recommendation letters?  What about supporting medical documentation?

By December 1:

  • upload your personal statement to the application portal.  Be certain your name appears on the personal statement.
  • upload your resume to the application portal.
  • identify the names and valid email address of 3 individuals that will write a recommendation letter on your behalf. Our system will email your Recommender and provide them with a link where they may upload their letter.

The deadline for uploading letters is December 15.

I am interested in applying as a Half-Time Student, what is required of me?

The admission requirements are the same as Full-Time studies. If you submit an application under the Individual Consideration or Canadian Indigenous Category, you will be asked to complete a questionnaire (found in the application itself). Time to completion for half-time students is 6 years.

How do I apply for Entrance Scholarships?

Click here for information on Entrance Scholarships.

How many students apply? How many students are accepted?

We receive 700-900 applications. Approximately 106 students are admitted to First Year.

What credit hours are used to calculate a GPA? Best two? Most recent two?  What about courses completed outside of a degree program?

To begin, an applicant’s entire academic history is considered, whether taken in undergraduate or graduate studies, on a full or part-time basis or in Regular, Evening or Summer Session.  Degree level courses completed outside of a degree program will be included in the GPA calculation.

A GPA will be adjusted by dropping lowest credit hours as listed:

  • 60-89 credit hours completed, 0 credit hours will be dropped.
  • 90-101 credit hours completed, 18 of the lowest are dropped.
  • 102-113 credit hours completed, 24 of the lowest are dropped.
  • 114+ credit hours completed, 30 of the lowest are dropped.
    • 30 credit hours is the maximum to be dropped.

A one-term course is valued at 3 credit hours, a two-term course is valued at 6 credit hours.

When can I expect an answer on my application?

Early Offers will be released in late January/early February. The Timeline 2020-21 is broken down by category. If you require further clarification, please email

How do I convert my grades to the 4.50 scale at the University of Manitoba?

When both a letter grade and percentage is presented on a transcript, the percentage will be used. The scale below will not be applied to international transcripts or studies completed through CEGEP.

A+ = 4.50 = 90% – 100%
A = 4.00 = 80% – 89%
B+ = 3.50 = 75% – 79%
B = 3.00 = 70% – 74%
C+ = 2.50 = 65% – 69%
C = 2.00 = 60% – 64%
D = 1.00 = 50% – 59%
F = 0.00 = 50% or less

A listing of Canadian Equivalency Tables is here.

If I apply under the Index Score category, should I send reference letters or a personal statement?

No, only AGPA and LSAT score are considered in the Index Score category. Please do not send supplementary documents; they will not be read.

Do you accept transfer applications from law schools outside of Canada?

Yes. Please see Upper Year categories.

I have a Law Degree from outside Canada. Am I eligible to practice in Canada?

Please contact the Federation of Law Societies of Canada (FLSC) and have the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) evaluate your credentials.

May I defer my studies for a year?

A one year, non-renewable request to defer registration will be accepted from: Early Offer Score recipients, Canadian Indigenous, and Individual Consideration offers. Applicants interested in a deferral are asked to submit their request in writing and outline the circumstances leading to the deferral request. Approval of the deferral will be at the discretion of the Faculty. The deadline to request a deferral is May 1.  Requests made after this deadline will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Tell me about Scholarships & Bursaries

Entrance Scholarships offers will be made with Early Offers. Be sure to upload a copy of your ‘personal characteristics statement’ to your application by December 1.

Applications for bursaries are available to students admitted into the Faculty of Law. Approximately $450,000 in need-based funding is available.  Deadline to apply is October 1.

Do you have an Exchange Program?

Yes! It is most common for 3L students to participate in exchanges.  Have you heard about our Israel and International Law Program?

Are Half-Time studies an option?

Yes. Admission criteria are the same for Full and Half-Time studies. Applications will be accepted from individuals who cannot commit to full-time studies due to health concerns, family commitments, financial necessity or special occupational involvement. Half-Time studies allows for 6 years to completion.

Can I speak to a current student? How can I arrange for a tour of the building?

Please send us an email.

How can I make an appointment with an admissions advisor?

Please send us an email or call 204-480-1485

Is preference given to residents of Manitoba?

No specific numbers of seats are reserved for either Manitoba or out of province students. In July, a wait list is set for those holding Manitoba residence.

I’d like to register for a LAW course, but I have not been admitted into the Faculty. Is this possible?

Our courses are limited to students admitted into the Faculty of Law, with very few exceptions.  For further inquiry, please send us an email.

I still have questions…

Please send us an email.

What can you tell me about Winnipeg and Manitoba?

Check out:

Where can I find more information on registering for courses?

Please view our course registration page.